Facelift/Necklift at a Glance
Facial aging, gravity and years of sun damage can result in drooping of the face and loss of facial volume. These changes cause sagging of the lower face, appearance of jowls and creation of the dreaded “turkey neck.” A “lift” procedure (facelift or necklift) repositions, lifts and tightens the facial skin, accentuates the jawline and tightens the neck eliminating the bottom-heavy appearance of facial aging.
Recent research has revealed that facelift surgery can remove about 10 years from a person’s perceived age and provide 10 years of pleasing results. Of course, even beyond 10 years from surgery, a “lifted” face will still appear more youthful than the face of someone who has not pursued surgery. A facelift involves repositioning the skin of the lower face and neck into a more youthful position. Incisions are hidden in the “sideburn” area, within the ear canal and along the back of the ear.
There are several methods to lift, reposition and tighten the tissues of the lower face and neck depending upon the type and severity of facial aging. The key is to place the tension of the lift on these robust tissues and eliminate any pull on the facial skin. Delicate sutures are used to meticulously close the incisions to minimize the creation of scar tissue. A dressing is placed at the time of surgery to minimize swelling and support your face and neck in the early healing period. Dr. Weber rarely places drains following facelift surgery allowing you to return to work and social activities at an earlier time and to recover without the hassle of managing drain tubes.
The goals of a typical facelift include improvement in:
- Sagging in the cheeks and midface area
- Lifting and repositioning of cheek tissue that has fallen
- Elimination of jowls created by a loss of tone in the lower face
- Softening of “marionette” lines around the mouth
- Sculpting and enhancement of the jawline
- Elimination of excess fat deposits under the chin and jaw
- Tightening of the neck tissue and removal of cords or banding in the neck
- Removal of the “turkey neck”